World Cucumber Day is the one day of the year when the noble cucumber receives the attention it deserves. Every June 14th, for that is when it falls, HENDRICK’S GIN celebrates this remarkable fruit (or ‘vegetable’ or even ‘gourd’ if you prefer). We wish to spread love, understanding, and appreciation for cucumbers everywhere, and we invite those with a crisp curious mind to celebrate World Cucumber Day too and wave their green jade wands aloft in pride!
A Sumptuous Summer Cocktail in Honour of the Noble Cucumber
the all IMPORTANT GARNISH
Why is HENDRICK’S GIN best served with cucumber? Our gin is infused with cucumber & rose. The addition of a slice or two of cucumber unfurls the full majesty of these glacially elegant flavours and releases the full poetry of our utterly balanced gin. So who would deny a crisp wheel of cucumber to a HENDRICK'S GIN & TONIC? Cucumber-haters might, and while we do respect them, on World Cucumber Day they can quietly suck their lemons as we cucumber-lovers celebrate the moist subtlety of our cylindrical friend.
There are many ways to express your love on this most auspicious cucumber day. Your own eccentric approaches are, of course, to be applauded — but here are four we have tried:
- Make a HENDRICK’S GIN & TONIC for yourself and your second-best friend*(best with a cucumber garnish**).
- Stand in a remote forest wearing a gown made only of cucumbers —and sacrifice a cucumber to Girvannia the Supreme Mistress of all Cucumbers and Holder of the Cosmic Pickle.
- Write an opera about gin and cucumber; perform it dressed as the tallest woman in Scotland (accompany with a nose-flute soloand thoughts of beloved kittens).
- Show off to your peers by learning how to make a new cocktail, like this one or this one, or for those who are especially flamboyant, this one. Serve with a twinkle in your eyes and cucumbers in your mind (while wearing appropriate or inappropriate shoes).
* We assume you’ve already made a HENDRICK'S GIN & TONIC for your best friend and don’t need reminding.
** The HENDRICK'S GIN & TONIC, that is; your friend may not require a cucumber garnish (though a cucumber garnish does indeed look good on a bald head or as earrings.)